kruizing with kikukat

Monday, April 14, 2014

Tarragon Chicken Salad

I think prom season is finally over!  Whew.  I guess I can save my $ for graduation gifts now. . .oh, but wait. . .some school organizations still had their hands out.  I guess the charity season never ends.

Speaking of never ending, it seems like the chilly weather will never end.  Just when I thought it was getting warmer, we had days on end of un-spring-like weather.  We haven't seen past 80 degrees for over a week!  I've been trying to shake a cough, the only lingering sign of my spring break cold.  I've tried anti-biotics, codeine cough meds, a bunch of inhalers and even a homeopathic remedy made with lemon, ginger and honey.  Last night, I attempted herbal tea, but I could not manage to swallow more than a sip.  That stuff tastes like shit.  I'm still not ready to hit the ching bo leung (Chinese cure-all).

While the weather has been nippy (to me, anything below 80 is nippy), it has, mercifully, been dry.  I'm not a fan of the effects of rain.  I hate the clammy feeling in the house, and I hate the proliferation of mold and mildew which seems to follow days of rain.

With the dry weather, I had the opportunity to spend some time in the backyard.  The stephanotis was in bloom (too bad there's no need to give anyone a lei now).  I was able to locate 1 ripe meyer lemon on the tree (to make the lemon-ginger-honey concoction).  And on my way back inside, I noticed that the tarragon had magically come back to life!

A few years ago, I bought a sad-looking tarragon plant.  I planted it, and it perked up and gave me all the tarragon I needed for hunter style chicken.  I thought it had gone bye-bye, so I was happy to see it coming back.  I decided to make tarragon chicken salad...hoping the "salad" would will the warm weather here.
 click on recipe title for printable recipe

     2 c cooked chicken, diced
     1 c watercress leaves
     1/2 c chopped celery
     1/4 c chopped green onions
     1/2 c salted marcona almonds, chopped
     3/4 c wild rice, rinsed
     2 1/4 c chicken stock
     1 tsp beau monde or celery salt
     1/4 c vegetable oil
     1/4 c EVOO
     1/4 c white wine vinegar
     1 tsp tarragon leaves, chopped
     1 tsp rock salt
     1/4 tsp ground black pepper

For dressing, combine vegetable oil, EVOO, white wine vinegar, tarragon, rock salt, and pepper in a bottle.  Set aside.  Bring chicken stock to a boil.  Add wild rice.  Lower heat to simmer, add beau monde or celery salt, and cook for 45 minutes (can be as little as 35 minutes or as long as 55 minutes) or until wild rice "pops" open.  Rinse and drain.  When cool, combine with chicken, watercress, celery, green onions, and almonds.  Shake dressing ingredients.  Pour over salad mixture and toss gently to coat.
The Help celebrated his birthday this past week.  We had dinner at Miyo's (courtesy of Kikukat Dad) and then we came home and had giant spoonfuls of gelato (sub for cake).  The Ds gave The Help his birthday gift and received a huge thank you in return. 

The Help is THE hardest person when it comes to buying gifts.  If he wants something, he'll normally just buy it himself.  Or, what he wants (read:  automobile or photography) has more zeros in the price than I can afford on my paltry salary.  Last year we gave him Shaka.  I thought about a Solomon Islands eclectus parrot this year, but we have been so blessed that Shaka and Aki get along well that I'm not willing to chance it with yet another bird.

And as I mentioned at the beginning of this week's post, I believe prom season has finally come to an end.  The last prom (St. Joseph School) took place this past Saturday at the Wainaku Executive Center.  I haven't been able to get a straight answer, but supposedly, D1 went as the date of senior EB (she got him a maile lei and a boutonniere so I sure hope she was his date).  I did not get to meet EB because D1 went with a group of her girl friends. . .each of them being the date of a SJ senior.   I dropped D1 and her friends off at the park for a photo session and then took them to the prom venue.

On the way there, I almost choked when I heard the pre-prom conversation: "We can't twerk, you know.", "How do we dance to Catholic music?", "Are they gonna play songs like 'Hallelujah'?".  Gasp!!!  Apparently, D1 ended up having a lot of fun, declaring the experience to be the "best prom ever". 


No comments:

Post a Comment