kruizing with kikukat

Monday, October 1, 2018

Oyako Donburi

One more week of work until fall break.  Five days.  I just need to hold on.  I have a ton of things which need to be done before the week is over.

The weather here has been record-setting hot and extremely humid.  I have been drinking at least one can of Diet Coke every day.  And it's not just because I like Diet Coke; it's because the contents of my Yeti are gone by the afternoon.

Given the weather, perhaps this is not the best thing for dinner, but I've been so lucky to receive fresh eggs from TheKeeper.  TheKeeper has several chicken varieties, and I have learned to distinguish each breed's eggs.  I'm quite proud of this feat, considering the fact that I have not had much experience with chickens. My favorite eggs are from the Whiting True Blue.  The eggs are a beautiful blue color.

I am not sure if I will get to make oyako donburi this week.  Although I have good quality eggs on hand, the days are just too hot to appreciate a hot rice dish.  On the flip side, D1 is getting swamped and stormed upon (thanks, Rosa) so she might be able to enjoy this in the air-conditioned comfort of her building.  And D1, if you're reading this, it won't taste the same if you don't cut the carrots into flower shapes!
click on recipe title for printable recipe

     1 tbsp oil
     1/2-3/4 lb chicken (about 1 1/2 c), cut in slivers
     1 c chicken broth
     4 tbsp shoyu
     2 tbsp sugar
     5 eggs, beaten
     1/2 tsp salt
     2 dried shiitake mushroom, soaked and sliced thin
     1/4 medium sweet onion, julienned
     green onion, chopped
     1 carrot, julienned or cut into flower shapes
     nori (dried seaweed sheet), slivered

Heat oil.  Saute chicken and sweet onion.  Drain.  Add chicken broth and simmer.  Add carrots and shiitake mushrooms.  Simmer.  Add shoyu, sugar, and salt.  Pour eggs over chicken and cook over low heat until eggs are coddled.  Do not stir.  Serve over hot rice.  Sprinkle nori on top just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment