kruizing with kikukat

Monday, June 11, 2012

Har Gao

I'm gonna do a lot of venting/bitching, so before I go on my rant, I need to congratulate D1 for making the HHS cheerleading squad for SY 12-13.  Way to go, D1!  I am so proud of her...managing all her activities and still maintaining a great GPA.  If only I could add "cleaning room" to the list of things she does well.

Deep breath. . .

Divide dough into equal pieces.  Flatten to a 3" circle.
Make 5 pleats close together.
Place filling in indentation.
This past week was a total bummer.  I wasted two-and-a-half days working.  I worked on Wednesday in Pahoa, half of Thursday at the office, and Friday was spent in the conference room at the office. 

At the meetings on Wednesday and Friday, the boss suggested working through lunch with early release.  Bullshit.  No way!  I've been fooled before, and I'm not letting it happen again.  I'm not giving a dishonor another chance.  

Fold edges together, pinching edges to seal.
This week, I'm reporting to work for a half day on Wednesday.  I am meeting with coworkers to work on a training.  I plan to count the hours I show up at the office.

Gently bend dumpling into a crescent shape.
The High Commander offered me an opportunity to work at the end of the month, and I may take her up on it.  It could be 1, 2 or 3 days, but I don't think I could take all 3 days, so I'm thinking of just doing it for 1 or 2 days.  The High Commander also praised me for my San Antonio slideshow.

In addition to working this week, I'm having lunch with Edz and Brucie.  I hope Edz is feeling better.  He had a rough week (maybe several weeks), and I hope that the person responsible for his misery receives his just desserts.  What an asshole!  I should kidnap him and tickle his feet with a feather.  The Ds will work him over and he will never be the same again.  

My driving job continues as well.  With the happy news of D1, I will be driving her daily to practices.  D1 & D2 both indicated a desire to continue with sewing classes for the second session, so I'll be on the road on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  The Gemini internship won't be starting until later this month, so I have a bit of a reprieve now.

Last week I noticed that the cats' fur around their butts was getting long and unruly, so both Desiree and Kendra got a nice summer trim.  Now that both are finally speaking to me again, I'll try and get pics of them with their lion cuts. 

Since school let out for the summer, I've been trying to exercise more.  The iPad app, RunKeeper, has been helpful for tracking the time and distance of my treadmill walks.  I'm hoping that the results on my next blood test will show that all this walking is paying off.  All this exercising should also give me license to eat whatever I want, right?

Last week, The Help took me and the Ds to dinner at IHOP (my choice).  The idea of having breakfast for dinner was very appealing, and I was thrilled to see red velvet pancakes on the menu.  They were actually good, and it got me thinking that its been a while since I've been to Boots & Kimo's on the Windward side (of Oahu).  Now I'm ono for their mac nut pancakes.

 I'm still hoping to get to Honolulu before I need to go back to work.  Boots & Kimo's might be out of the question if its an overnight trip, but dim sum is not negotiable.  And I could not have dim sum without ordering har gao.  Har gao is one of the indispensable dim sum dishes no matter where you go (and I've eaten dim sum all over America).


Har gao at restaurants tend to be small and dainty.  At home, I make them the size of potstickers!

click on recipe title for printable recipe
Har Gow Filling

     3/4 lb shrimp, chopped
     1/4 c bamboo shoots, chopped
     1 tsp salt
     1 tsp sesame oil
     1/2 tsp sugar
     1 egg white
     2 tbsp cornstarch

 Combine all ingredients.  Chill for 1 hour.





     1 c wheat starch
     1/2 c tapioca starch
     1/2 tsp salt
     1 c boiling water
     2 tbsp oil

Combine dry ingredients.  Add boiling water and mix.  Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.  Add oil and knead until a smooth dough forms.  Cover and set aside until filling is ready.

Divide dough into 24 equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball then flatten into a 3" circle.  A tortilla press is very handy to have, but a rolling pin or a cleaver will also work. 

 Make pleats close together in one section of wrapper.  I usually make 5 or 7 pleats.  The pleats will naturally create a well.  Place filling (scant #60 scoop) in well.  Pinch edges of wrapper together.  Bend each dumpling to form a crescent.  Place on parchment paper in a steamer.  Steam for 15 minutes.  Serve with shoyu.

If you don't have parchment paper, you could also just oil the steamer surface, but I prefer to use parchment (perforated).  Some people don't care for the earthy taste bamboo steamers impart on food.  While aluminum steamers don't add any flavor, they are more prone to sticking so you have greater potential of ending up with a mess.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment