kruizing with kikukat

Monday, September 7, 2015

Chocolate Mochi

Today is a holiday!  Yay!!!

Last week was a busy week.  I was thinking all the parent festivities were behind me, but I forgot about senior parent night.  I guess I excluded myself mentally since I'm not the parent of a senior, but I forgot about my other responsibilities.  Anyway, senior parent night was on Wednesday.  The parents were informed about the major activities happening for their children this year.  They were also given fair warning about the $$$ of prom bids this spring.  I already had a parent complain.  Well, prom participation IS voluntary.  And I should note that prom participation costs are a fraction of an iPhone.  I see so many kids at school flaunting their smartphones.  When I went to high school, nobody had phones so we had no choice but to pay attention to the lessons.

The Help went to Honolulu this weekend for some family stuff, so I had the weekend to myself.  My 10-hour day in Kona ended up costing me over $2k.  Of course, this included a car repair.  Ouch!  Since I had some time, I walked around the dealership to look at what my next steps might be.  The new x3s are nice.  I wonder when they began having air vents to the back seat.

Costco was awful.  It was packed.  It took me forever to find parking, and I had to park twice (I bought a bed, had to drive my car to the front of the store to load the bed, then I had to park again so I could go back into the store for other things).  They also didn't have any carts.  While I was waiting, I saw KikukatMom and KikukatDad exiting the store.  I helped them unload in the pouring rain and then took their cart.  While in Costco, I did run into some nice people like Van Gogh.  Van Gogh and I both agreed that Friday after work is the best time to head over to Costco.

On Sunday, since The Help was still away, I baked.  My original plan was to make snickerdoodles for D1 to cheer her up, but since I had recently opened a large container of unsweetened cocoa powder, I decided to make a tray of chocolate mochi for KikukatMom, who is finally feeling better after her surgery.

click on recipe title for printable recipe

     1 box (16 oz) mochiko
     2 c sugar
     1/4 c cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
     1 tbsp baking soda
     1 can (13-14 oz) coconut milk
     about 1 1/2 c milk
     1/2 c chocolate syrup
     1/4 c butter, melted
     2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13" pan.  Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour coconut milk into a large measuring cup.  Add enough milk to equal 24 fluid ounces.  Combine with chocolate syrup, melted butter, and eggs.  Add to dry ingredients.  Use a whisk to mix until smooth.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour.  Cut into pieces when completely cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment