kruizing with kikukat

Monday, August 27, 2012

Fergalicious: Black Eyed Peas & Ham Hocks

This past week has definitely been a trying week.  Being out sick one day and having to attend to several evening activities didn't help at all.  Yes, I'm still not feeling 100%, but I really couldn't afford to check out because there were so many things scheduled.

On Wednesday evening I attended D1's open house.  It was followed by an athletics meeting that didn't end until 8 pm.  On Thursday, D1 and I attended Keaau Elementary's open house, where the Key Club was supposed to do a service project.  But D1 was the only Key Club member who showed.  When she phoned the advisor, the advisor was very nonchalant about those who signed up but didn't show.  The advisor has been working in the system for over 40 years.  I'm sure she's seen worse.

D2 did a good job pissing me off.  After nearly 4 weeks of school, I found out D2 hasn't been consistently doing her homework in spite of telling me she has.  I hit the roof when I found out, but get this...when I told her teacher I yelled at her, he told me to "go easy on her".  Well, frick, isn't that how this mess started???  I took away iPad, but now I need to look at my next intervention.  My head is still spinning.

Once again, time to prep meals for the week has been minimal.  I had to bring out the slow cooker and make a big pot of black eyed peas and ham hocks.  It was a good thing because its one of those dishes that tastes better with each day.



click on recipe title for printable recipe

     1 lb dried black eyed peas
     3 c water
     2 smoked ham hocks
Place all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours.  Remove meat from ham hocks and combine with beans.  You could also cook everything in a dutch oven on the stove.  If so, bring to a boil, skim scum, and simmer for 2 hours before separating meat from ham hocks.



The Help took a whole bunch of pics at the pre-season football game last weekend, and I wanted to share a pic of my favorite cheerleader:



3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm surprised the Key Club is still around. Too bad, it's not as active as it was wen I was there. Use to be a good community and school club in the "old days".

    Yum, black eyed peas and ham hock soup. One of my favorite comfort soup. No bay leaves and peppercorns?

    Hope you're feeling better. -lance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lance. Yes, the Key Club is still around, and it still is a very good club. In fact, its a co-ed club now (no sub-debs, keywanettes, or kiwins...pick which one, depending on when you were in high school). But there are so many other expectations placed on high school students now..one must really do a good job with time management in order to meet the time requirements for everything.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha!!! Was the "sub-debs". Many, many moons ago. Good times.

    ReplyDelete