kruizing with kikukat

Monday, December 19, 2011

Almost Goma Tei: Tan Tan Noodles

Aaaaahhh.  Nice to finally be on vacation.  In spite of having the time to cook, I really don't feel like cooking.  I'm blaming it on the holiday hype.  Still being in the recovery phase of an illness which has festered since Halloween, the 1 hour I spent in Target pretty much zapped my energy.  Meals are gonna be the product of the shortest distance between two points, a.k.a. minimal effort.

As you know from my earlier post, I have a deep, deep affinity for Goma Tei's Tan Tan Noodles.  It seems like I'm not the only  one.  Someone named Robyn Goong wrote to the Honolulu Star Advertiser's food lady, Betty Shimabukuro, and asked her to come up with a copycat recipe for the ethereal Goma Tei version.  You can read the article and get the original copycat recipe here.

The difference with my recipe lies in the amounts of black bean chili sauce and sesame oil to add and in the process by which the sauce ingredients are added to the stock.  Since I hate to see seeds and chili pepper casings in my food, I had to strain the black bean chili sauce so I could get the heat with out the seeds and casings.  Yes, I know, the OCD is coming out.

And speaking of my OCD. . .those of you who know me well are aware that I hate to touch anything cold and slimy or oily with my bare hands.  I tried to be very neat with the sesame paste, but in my effort to get to the paste by delicately plowing through the oil layer, I somehow ended up spilling most of the oil layer on the jar and onto the granite counter.  I got the counter cleaned up and decided I would wash the bottle with dishwashing soap so it wouldn't be all oily when I put it away.  I guess I didn't cover the bottle good enough because in the process of washing the bottle, the bottle opened up.  Not only did the sesame paste (not just the oily part) spill all over my WHITE jacket sleeve, but the soap from the sponge ended up inside the partially filled bottle.  FARCK!  


But after the first bite of the noodles, it was all worth it.  The broth had the same "dirty" look as the Goma Tei version.  The thinly sliced roast pork was a good approximation of the spiral slab of pork belly.  And really, its way after Labor Day. . .wearing white is a fashion faux pas.

click on recipe title for printable recipe
Tan Tan Noodles

     4 c chicken stock
     1/4 c shoyu
     1 tbsp sugar
     2 tbsp sesame paste
     2 tsp black bean chili sauce
     1 tbsp sesame oil
     11 oz fresh noodles, boiled and drained.
     greens, blanched (won bok, baby bok choy, etc.)
     roast pork, sliced thin

Heat chicken stock.  When stock begins to simmer, add shoyu and sugar.  Add 2 tbsp stock to sesame paste.  Mix well, then add back to stock.  Place black bean chili sauce in a small sieve.  Spoon hot stock over sauce.  Discard seeds and chili pepper casings which remain in the sieve.  Add sesame oil.  Keep stock at a simmer.  Divide drained noodles between 2 saimin bowls.  Top with greens and roast pork.  Ladle soup over all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made this post (and that I found it)! I've tried a few different tantanmen recipes but never got the taste that I liked. I never had to make it on my own until my favorite place (Gomaichi) closed. The rumor is that the owner of Goma-Tei used to work at Gomaichi and then split to open his own shop(s). They sold their recipes to another shop up the street (Menchako-Tei) but they eventually closed because the land was being redeveloped into a condominium.

    To me, this recipe tastes more similar to the original Gomaichi recipe and I couldn't be more pleased. I did make a couple changes. I added 1tsp white miso and 1tsp rice wine vinegar to the "tare" before mixing into the chicken stock. Instead of adding sesame oil (which I think there is too much of Goma-Tei's version) I added a bit of the drippings from the ground pork mixture which I usually have with this.

    I've also tried this peanut butter (instead of neri goma - which is sometimes hard to find (and am too lazy to make). I can't decide which I like better. Both are quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will need to try the peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete