kruizing with kikukat

Monday, September 19, 2011

Cool Minty Brownies


Before we dive into this post and explore all the dietary benefits of Cool Minty Brownies, I'd like to wish a big Happy Birthday to Mom.  Your present is on its way, and I'm also very sorry you didn't get to eat any of these brownies.  I'll make for you next time, even though you're diabetic and not supposed to be indulging in sugar.

Happy Birthday, Mom.  You still rock!


Going to restaurants and seeing a handful of Andes Creme de Menthe candies on the little tray with the receipt for dinner made me happy (keep in mind I wasn't the one paying for the meal. . .I still try not to pay. . .teehee).  I also remember asking Mom to buy a box of the candies when we'd be in the supermarket.  In fact, it was Mom who taught me to look for the much-coveted chocolate-mint-chocolate variety rather than the mint-chocolate-mint variety.  You had to look really good at the picture on the box to determine which variety you were buying.

Since Target opened in Hilo in mid-July, we've been blessed with all sorts of novel products.  I've seen flattened (purposefully) marshmallows for s'mores, jumbo marshmallows, and all sorts of baking novelties.  You can probably tell which aisle at Target I've been frequenting.  One of the baking novelties was Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips.

found at Target (Hilo)
The back of the package  had a few recipes, but I opted to go with a recipe I found in a local high school cookbook, Cool Minty Brownies.  These decadent brownies have the cool taste of mint and the fudgy, gooey consistency found in all perfect brownies.   While the frosting is creamy and smooth, I prefer these frosted brownies chilled for a few hours in the refrigerator to harden the frosting.  Biting into a brownie reminds me of the York Peppermint Patty commercials where the person who takes a bite of the patty is swept away into a chilly wonderland.  The same thing can happen to you if you make/eat these brownies!


click on recipe title for printable recipe
Cool Minty Brownies

     1 1/4 c flour
     1/2 tsp baking powder
     3/4 c cocoa powder
     1 c butter, softened
     2 c sugar
     4 eggs
     1 tsp vanilla extract
     1 pkg (10 oz) Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips (or use chopped up Creme de Menthe candies)
     
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13" pan.  In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and cocoa.  In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar in a large bowl.  Beat until very creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla with last egg.  Gradually stir cocoa mixture into butter mixture.  Fold in Creme de Menthe chips.  Spoon into greased pan and use the back of a spoon to spread evenly.  Bake for 35 minutes.  When brownies are cool, make frosting.


     1/2 c butter, melted
     1/3 c cocoa powder
     2 c powdered sugar
     1 tsp vanilla extract
     2 tbsp milk
Sift together cocoa powder and powdered sugar.  Add melted butter, vanilla extract and milk.  Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until of spreading consistency.  Spread evenly over cooled brownies.
    
Note:  using Dutch-processed cocoa in this recipe will result in a dark, sultry brownie.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated b-day, kikukat's mom! I haven't seen the Andes baking mints before but I love Andes mints. I'll look for them next time I'm at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carol. Kikukat's mom thanks you too. If you love Andes mints, you will love these brownies. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete