kruizing with kikukat

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Okazuya Food: Teriyaki Fish

Ever since I did the corned beef hash post last week, I've spent time reminiscing about the okazuya's I have frequented in Hilo and Honolulu.  If I had my way, I'd eat okazuya food for lunch everyday.  Because of the variety of foods, lunches could be different everyday.

Over 20 years and several boyfriends ago, I lived in Makiki (Honolulu) and enjoyed a carefree life, eating what I wanted, when I wanted.  On weekends, we enjoyed picking up okazu from a place called Kaneda's.  Kaneda's was located on School Street in Liliha.  For those of you familiar with Honolulu, chances are good that you know Kaneda's.  In addition to being an okazu-ya, they also did party catering.  They may even have been able to accommodate small functions on-site, but I don't know for sure.  All I know about Kaneda's is they sold something that really reminded me of home:  teriyaki fish.

My parents often received fish from friends and family.  Dad had friends who went fishing.  Mom's brother had lots of friends who went fishing.  Sometimes it would be fish with head and tail (reef fish like menpachi, kole, aweoweo) and other times it would be a fillet of a big fish (aku, ahi, ono).  I like most reef fish (yes, even with all the bones), but the big fish never appealed to me.  I won't touch aku (skipjack tuna) in any form, and I'll eat ono (wahoo) only if I have to.  There are only two ways I enjoy cooked ahi (yellowfin tuna):  broiled (must be the belly portion) and teriyaki.

Teriyaki ahi is "da bomb".  Because most of the ahi was given to us, we ended up with all kinds of odd-shaped pieces, hardly worthy of sashimi.  Mom would often make teriyaki fish with the odd pieces.  I thought that was something only our family made, as nobody else seemed to eat ahi like that.  Until I discovered Kaneda's.  Same teriyaki taste, same look of the finished product.  Yummmm.

Kaneda's closed sometime in the 90's.  I can't remember what kind of business took over their location, but I'm sure they don't make teriyaki fish.  But no worries . . . teriyaki fish is very easy to make.  The only forethought it requires is the overnight marinating.

Marinating the fish in a plastic bag (yes, Terri, this is a no-no) with the air sucked out gets the marinade evenly into all the odd shaped pieces of fish.
After marinating, the color of the fish will change to a dark maroon.  Drain marinade and pat fish pieces dry prior to dusting with flour.  Be careful not to burn the fish when frying.
Teriyaki fish (or any type of teriyaki) goes amazingly well with ranch dressing salads.
click on recipe title for printable recipe
     ahi, sliced 3/8" thick
     shoyu (same amount as sugar)
     sugar (same amount as shoyu)
     ginger, grated
     flour
     cooking oil

Make a simple marinade using equal parts of shoyu and sugar.  Add ginger.  Add fish.  Marinate overnight in refrigerator.  When ready to cook, drain marinade and dry fish slices with paper towel.  Dust fish in flour and pan fry in shallow oil until golden brown.  Watch carefully, as it can burn quickly.  Drain on paper towel layers.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment